Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Homemade Donuts


This past weekend, my daughter had a friend come and spend the night, and as girls do, they came up with an idea… donuts!  Since it was late, I decided that I would make them myself and having left-over icing from the Strawberry Lemonade cupcakes (see my blog for that recipe) that I had made the kids earlier that morning, the plan to make donuts became a reality!  Here’s how easy it is to make homemade donuts!  Trust me, your family will devour them!
Ingredients:
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • 1 can of large biscuits
Frosting Ingredients: - used from my Strawberry Lemonade cupcakes
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup pureed strawberries (made from fresh or frozen strawberries)
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar (adjust to achieve desired consistency)
Directions:
Heat 2 inches vegetable oil in a large frying pan.
To Make Frosting:
Cream butter in an electric mixer on medium-speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Then add in the strawberries, vanilla and lemon juice, and mix on low-speed until combined.  Gradually add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined.  Then beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, another 3-5 minutes.  (Add in more powdered sugar if consistency is too thin.)
Then, lay out the biscuits on a cutting board and with a children’s medicine cup, cut out a hole from the middle of each biscuit, I didn’t have a small cookie cutter, so I used a medicine cup… worked wonderfully and was the perfect size!
Fry the donuts and the hoes in the oil until golden and then flip with tongs to fry the other side.  You need to watch them closely as they cook very quickly!   Drain on paper towels and then coat with icing while they are still warm... the frosting will melt and you will love the taste of freshly made donuts.  I rolled the donut holes in cinnamon-sugar!  The possibilities are endless on toppings – you could toss in cinnamon-sugar, powdered sugar or ice and decorate with sprinkles, as desired.  Either way, you will enjoy each and every bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment