Friday, May 6, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Jam~


Why buy jam when you can make a delicious homemade one yourself with no pectin or preservatives?  This morning, I made Austin toast and noticed I had some leftover strawberries... so, I thought I'd put them to good use and make jam and my adventure began.  The outcome was a beautiful looking jam that tasted better than my Smuckers brand!  Tastes yummy on toast, scones, ice cream, with whip cream…endless possibilities..Makes for a cute gift too!  Nothing better than knowing that you’re feeding your family healthy, all natural foods and savings some money too!

Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs of strawberries (the softer they are, the better)
1 ½ cups of white sugar
¼ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup of water

Method:
Mash strawberries in a large pot, adding white sugar, lemon and water.  You can mash down as much as you’d like depending on your preference (I like mine chunky with pieces of strawberries visible)

Boil on medium heat, stirring often until consistency is like maple syrup. Add more sugar to taste if you want it sweeter.. Jam will thicken as it cools… let cool on stove for ½ an hour before transferring to jar.

1 comment:

  1. WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Welcome to the homemade jam club!!!
    try it with the balsamic vinegar. MMMM...

    ReplyDelete